But with some fiddling around I figured out how to fix it.
Trying to figure out how to afix the bib and waistband took a great deal of time. I finally gave up on trying to understand the instructions and just did my own thing, and It turned out alright, if I do say so myself!
I sewed up my first sure fit 'dress' too. Only that didn't go so well :(
As you can see, I have fit issues with the blouse length, neck, and armholes and the skirt at the hips. I know once I get this figured out it's going to be a huge asset for me, but I still have a LOT of work to do to figure it out.
And, last but not least, I started on the brown dot dress. I'm so excited to be working on this for real!
I was trying to figure out today why everything was taking me so long. Then I realized, before, all the major sewing I did was for costumes. So if wastebands didn't fit right, or zippers didn't match up exactly, I didn't care. But now -- Now I spend a hour pinning a lining just to make sure it all lines up correctly. But, that's ok right?
P.S. Today I learned the art of understiching - yay!
And, last but not least... Friday I swung by the fabric store near work (the good one) to pick up a few things, and they were having an AMAZING clearance sale. I do mean amazing - some of the fabrics I picked up were under $1/yard and all were less then $3.
First was this pinkish-purpleish chiffon - I figured I could make a blouse out of it - I need more colorful blouses and with spring/summer coming up, the lighter the better!
doesn't hat make you crave some cottan candy?
I also picked up a more conservative fabric - also intending to make a shirt of. I love a floral that gives interest without being too busy.
Then I found an amazing poly blend knit. I had recently found a sweatshirt pattern that I loved, but I didn't want to do it in your standard boring sweatshirt material - I think this is going to be perfect.
But when you hold it up you find this:
I'll be on the lookout for the right lining and I know this is going to shine.
I also found what they called "Sportswear Twill" I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it as it's got a heavy almost denim feel to it, but I loved the print.
And it was only 70 cents a yard. I probably should have just brought home the whole thing, but I took five yards instead.
Picked up some navy water resistant fabric as well - who knows, I might be able to coax a jacket out of it.
Last, but not least, I stumbled across this...
(It's also the one fabric that caught my husband's eye, of everything I brought home.) Here's the best part... It's swimsuit material!! I've had this idea for a vintage inspired 'skirted' swimsuit in my head and this fit into perfectly. I have no idea how to pull it off (maybe after I get my sure fit...fitted) but, I will - someday!
Tomorrow the goal is to get the shorts hemmed and the brown dress ready to hem (the bodice - the 'hard part' is done), and maybe get my blue check dress cut out. But we'll see.