Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sewing Menswear

I was reading through a new blog (written by a man) yesterday and something he wrote got me thinking.

He mentioned how men's clothing is usually about precision, tailoring and making things look impeccable.   And, I realized, he's pretty much right, and maybe that's why I shy away so much from sewing men's stuff.

I have a confession.  I'm a lazy/sloppy sewer.

I don't normally finish seams, I'm always looking for a shortcut and if the fabric will let me get away with it... I don't even HEM stuff!

I sew because I like fun clothing that fits me.  And I like instant gratification.  I love making clothes from unusual and interesting fabric or from amazing and (often vintage) patterns.  Even better if it's both.  I want people to KNOW I'm wearing something that they couldn't find at the store and yet they are still surprised when I tell them I made it myself.

All of that is pretty much missing from men's clothing - and that's kind of sad.  And that's also why I have such a hard time sewing for my husband even though he's asked me more then a few times.

I know - this post isn't really going anywhere... except to say that I really do want to make my hubby stuff, and I really would like to find a way to make this a 'fun' activity for me so that I'm motivated to do so.  Maybe it means that I should TRY going for perfection now and then.  Spend the time and effort to make that couture piece of clothing where every stitch is impeccable...  Hmm  well if I do, I may just make sure it's men's wear so that I can let my husband enjoy my hobby too.

No comments:

Post a Comment