Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vogue 8789 - Again

When I first saw this fabric I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.

The simple boarder print was so pretty and was begging to be made into Vogue 8789

This time I made sure I cut the bodice long enough and the whole thing went together beautifully.

The only problem I'm having is with the neckline.  I don't know if it's because my shoulders are too wide, or maybe just too square, but the straight across neckline just doesn't sit on me like the drawing.  I'm going to work on fixing that, but even with the 'funny' neck.  (and it's not nearly as bad as these pictures make it look - the dress isn't swallowing my head) I love the dress and feel very pretty wearing it.  I probably need to think about a belt just to add a little color in the center, but overall I'm super happy.  P.S.  This fabric was $2 a yard at Walmart so this dress not only is simple and cute and fun but very very cheep.  And even though I finished every single seam it only took me about 4-5 hours to put together.

I made another project this weekend that has no pattern number :D

I found this fabric is the bargain bin and took all they had (there wasn't much)

I was pretty sure I had seen it's fruity goodness made into sundresses around the internet and had coveted it then.  So I was really excited to get my hands on it.  But, I could not find the perfect pattern!

So, I took my sure fit designs top sloaper and traced MOST of that.  The traced the neckline from the Sultry Sheath from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing.  Then I cut a simple A-line skirt.

Because I was making something without a pattern I did some funny things with construction.  I sewed the front bodice to the front skirt and each back bodice piece to each back skirt piece (after sewing in the darts).  To my pleasant surprise I even managed to get the darts to match.  I then sewed up the back seam, and put in the side seams (leaving an opening for the zipper).  Side zippers are my new favorite thing.  After that I bound the neckline, sleeves and hem in lime green bias tape.  And lastly, because it need a little more OOMPH I pressed open some tape and stitched it to the waist in a mock belt and sewed together a little bow.

Overall I love the results and my friends loved it too.  And it only took three hours to sew.

 If I was going to fix anything it would be tighten/shorten the bodice just a touch and bring the outside of the arm scythe in just a touch to make it a little smaller at the shoulders.

But the dress is fun and a lot of fun to wear so I'm not going to fuss over it too much. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how these came out and that second fabric is great. I have to wonder how it ever made it to a clearance bin.