Wednesday, October 16, 2013

McCall's 5974

  I found this crazy print lycra and knew I wanted to make a dress out of it.  McCall's 5974 seemed perfect.

All in all I would have to say I'm super happy with the dress.  Yes, the pattern and colors are pretty wild, but it was super easy to put together and I think looks pretty good - especially when paired with a simple solid colored sweater.  I had kind of planned on it only being a muslin, but it turned out so wearable that I'm getting a great deal of use out of it.

The only adjustments I made to the pattern are minor.  I left off the ties at the waist - only because I didn't have enough fabric for them (this thing takes a LOT of yardage).  I also added length in the front of the bodice otherwise the waistband would have hit me mid boob - but that's simply due to my body shape - not the pattern itself.  I also didn't put a zipper in it because I had PLENTY of stretch with the fabric I used. 

As with all Palmer/Pletsch patterns this one had great instructions and a lot of really good fitting techniques.  I really like how flattering the pleating is in this dress and it's on my list to make again.  

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that I love the dresses you've beenn working on. The V necklines really work for you. Happy sewing Juanita